Today I did a test run on my homemade chick incubator. It seems to be in working order.
I have very little money into this and since it’s my first time trying to incubate eggs… I’m not expecting any miracles but I am very hopeful for good results.
Materials I used:
styrofoam container $2.88
Thermometer / hygrometer $5.98
25 Watt Light bulb $2.00 (I have an extra)
Light switch dimmer $5.00
Old desk lamp, wire, screen, duct tape and picture frame glass were just items I had laying around. I used two little, glass mustard jars with sponges inside of them for humidity. Total cost was about $16.00
I need to lay another little piece of screen on top of the wire so when they hatch (keeping fingers crossed for that) they won’t fall through. I was able to get the temp to a consistant 100 degrees with the lamp dimmer and the humidity seems to be OK too. Now… I just need to find some eggs that I would like to hatch and I should be all set.